Thursday, October 19, 2006

Advice on Location, Start-Up & Money Fears

Location: I spoke with a local realtor last night named Barbie. I barely know Barbie but admire her very much - in spite of her name (wink)! She was very encouraging about the concept and agreed with me that downtown area would be best place to start the store. The rent will be higher but the clientle and traffic will be better. And interested Goletians and Carpentarians will make the trek to downtown. She's going to look into some spaces and get back to me.

Start-Up: Barbie also suggested that I start online. I'd thought about this before but mostly figured it would be in conjunction w/the store. However, in speaking with her and later with Kevin I think that starting online first would be a good way to get some funds for the here and now and also be a way to get inventory. Where to store the inventory is another question? So, I should start buying product and selling on eBay or Craigslist.org or wherever. Maybe I'll even sell pieces from my precious maternity collection?

Money Fears: Kevin and I are very security focused people. We think people who quit their jobs w/o having a back-up job are a little nuts. We know this is a very faithless perspective and we're working on it. Trust, trust, trust and DO! At lunch with my darling friend Heather today and boldly told her about my idea. As a mother of 4 (thank you very much) she is well aware of the lack of affordable, nice maternity clothes in SB. She's also very wise and I really really respect her. She told me that if I'm whole-heartedly seeking the Lord and trusting Him completely to guide me through the details then the money stuff needs to not matter. Until God clearly tells me to STOP! then I have to keep moving forward. She said that she doesn't know of a single instance in the Bible where God has used money to stop people from doing His plan for them. And she reminded me to TRUST!

Good words. Need to stay focused, trust and DO!

No comments: