Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Rich Dad, Poor Dad

I got Kevin Rich Dad, Poor Dad Before You Quit Your Job... for Christmas and so far...I've really enjoyed it! Really good stuff. I've only read a couple of chapters so far and already a few things have me thinking. Kiyosaki talks about how America raises worker bees (my word). Parents, teachers, society teaches us to go to school so we can get a good job. Not many are emphasizing or cultivating peoples interest or desire to own their own company. I wonder what would happen if parents, teachers, society started encouraging young people to be their own bosses. I'm not even talking about 'go to school so you can be your own boss'. I'm talking about 'whatever you do, do what you're passionate about and find a way to work for yourself!'. What would happen then?

I took my first entrepreneural course in college and absolutely loved it. What if there were entrepreneur courses offered as electives in high school? Are there Entrepreneural Club's in high school today? Or even at other youth organizations? After-school programs? Churches? Any influential arena. I think it would be pretty exciting. Maybe this stuff happens today but it sure didn't when I was a teenager. I was terrible in school and always knew that I'd never have a high-paying job. But if there had been a class that showed me the possibilities out there to work for MYSELF and be fulfilled...that would have excited me. Hey, it might serve the struggling students best! Make it a lower-level course/elective like remdial math for the 'dumbies'. Show students who don't have a lot of scholastic confidence (1) what others have done [even those didn't finish college] and (2) that they can be successful [whatever that means to them] too and let's just see what happens. I love it. I think it's brilliant if I do say so myself...

No comments: